Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Exercise 2

In the Introduction to "They Say/ I Say": The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing, Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein provide templates designed to help young writers learn the basics of writing a persuasive argument paper. Specifically, Graff and Birkenstein argue that the types of writing templates they offer a guide to students about writing a fantastic paper and knowing how to write a paper that makes sense.  As the authors themselves put it, "Again, none of us is born knowing these moves, especially when it comes to academic writing.  Hence the need for this book.".  Although some people believe that people should be able to be creative with your writing and people are naturally talented, Graff and Birkenstein insist that this is not the case and you need this book to learn how to write.  In sum, then, their view is that people need to be taught how to write properly.  I agree with their opinion.  In my view, the types of templates that the authors recommend help students in writing papers and just nudges them into writing a well written paper.  For instance, this essay I am writing currently is based on a template and I feel it is going well.  In addition, I needed to be taught how to write in order for me to get to where I am today academically.  Some might object, of course, on the grounds that you are taking away kids freedom of speech and creativity.  Yet I would argue that they are only providing guidelines for the paper instead of denying their ideas.  Overall, then, I believe that templates help kids write papers- an important point to make given this is based on a template.

No comments:

Post a Comment